I am a self-confessed ‘BeneBabe’ and have been since I was 13. I adore the quirky packaging, the product names, the quality and innovation behind products and most importantly their philosophy and approach to makeup is refreshing – laughter is the best cosmetic, after all.
Bar the trusty Benefit play sticks, I’ve always been left a little wanting from their foundations and tinted moisturisers and my first experience of the Hello Flawless, Oxygen Wow wasn’t particularly positive. I remember being distinctively underwhelmed for a few reasons – mainly the coverage and speed at which I emptied my bottle!
Fast forward 4 years and I finally decided to give it another go with the help of Lisa Potter Dixon’s YouTube videos. Now I don’t know if I simply had no taste in 2012 but I have done a complete 180 when it comes to my thoughts on this product and wanted to share my revised, unfettered thoughts with you all.
Official Product Description:
Benefit describe this as a brightening liquid foundation that builds from light to medium coverage in a natural way. The official description is packed with synonyms for luminous, glow, healthy etc – you get the idea. The actual formulation is oil-free, claims hydrating benefits and impressively has a broad spectrum SPF 25 PA +++ (that’s both UVA and UVB protection to you and me!).
What I love:
- The Consistency – It’s comparable to Chanel Vitalumiere in consistency and I love how blendable the formula is. It’s also great for building up the coverage if you want something heavier for the evening. As a full coverage girl, it’s a welcome change to build up a foundation that feels light and refreshing on the skin – finally a foundation that allows my face to breathe!
- A Proper SPF – I wear a daily SPF but it’s hard not to be impressed that Benefit have included such a robust protection in their foundation.
- The Staying Power – For a light to medium coverage foundation, the staying power of this is pretty darn good. I use it with a good concealer over the top but it requires little, if any, touch ups throughout the day and night and the wearing quality doesn’t deteriorate over time either – no patchiness or drying to be seen!
What I really love:
- The GLOW – I mean seriously, this foundation really does make your skin look healthy. The description is actually very accurate when it comes to the radiance and brightening effects – this alone makes it worth trying to be honest.
- It Smells Delightful – I know you shouldn’t buy a product just for it’s scent (unless it’s perfume) but this really does smell lovely and kind of reminds me of summer – it’s fresh.
- Bring on the DEW – Dewiness and glow are different in my book, although they’re often confused. Now it’s autumn and my skin is getting drier I like a foundation with a non-matte finish so this semi-dew result is perfect. Big points for this.
- Application Options Galore – I’ve gone through phases of applying this with a beauty blender, my fingers, a traditional foundation brush, a stippling brush… I could go on – it’s that versatile. It’s refreshing to have so much choice when you’re applying your makeup: it’s a joy to use.
What I don’t love:
- Shade Range – I’m usually the palest colour in any foundation range and I am happy with the colour I’ve found of this, but I do have to mention that 9 shades, whilst better than some brands, isn’t totally inclusive. The paler shades are all quite similar so I would recommend trying these out in store before purchasing to get the right colour.
- A Tube Doesn’t Last Me Long – Now whilst the foundation wears fantastically and definitely lives up to it’s claims, I do find I go through it quite rapidly compared with other foundations. I do think this is down to expectation and preference though – I prefer a heavier coverage so naturally I do layer this up a little more than someone who likes a light base. Even so, in the strive for total honesty it’s best to mention these things as it might help some of you!
Purchasing options: The Hello Flawless, Oxygen Wow foundation is £26.50 for 30ml. As with all Benefit products, you can order on their website here or pop into one of their boutiques or concessions.
Have you guys tried this foundation? What do you make of Benefit foundations in general – are you a fan? Let me know all your thoughts in the comments below.
Sincerely, Sarah xx