If you’re a planner, chances are you look forward to holiday prep. You probably have multiple lists for things to do, items to pack and last minute purchases and if you’re anything like me, you’ll enjoy every organised second! That said, the one part of holiday prep that never changes is my beauty regime.
With holiday season approaching, I hope some of you will find my trusty beauty routine helpful. Here goes…
2 WEEKS BEFORE
- Dry Brushing: Whilst scrubbing your dry skin with a scratchy brush doesn’t sound hugely appealing, the benefits make the effort totally worth it. Dry brushing is detoxifying, it boosts blood flow, exfoliates and for some, can reduce the appearance of cellulite. I spend 5-10 minutes before every shower dry brushing in the two weeks before a holiday with my Superdrug brush.
- Exfoliation: For a beach holiday I really up the ante when it comes to exfoliating. I do it twice a week in addition to dry brushing, to really ensure my skin is as soft as possible and ready for a holiday. If you’ll be looking to prolong a tan, exfoliation really is key. I’ve been using, and loving, The Body Shop Honeymania scrub – it’s in the sale at the moment too!
- Gradual Tan: If I’m going to a sunny destination I always use a gradual tanner before I jet off. I’m rather pale so this step is purely for aesthetics. Let’s face it, nobody wants to be the translucent pale girl in a bikini! I’ve tried so many over the years but I keep going back to Dove tanners. They’re the brand I find to be most natural looking and least smelly – an important combo. I’m currently using the Dove Derma Spa Summer Revived (Light to Medium).
- Face Masks: If part of my holiday involves a flight, I use the two week window as a marker for increasing my commitment to face masks. It doesn’t take much for my skin to become dehydrated and flying really is the thief of moisture and hydration! I normally use a sheet mask every Sunday so I simply add in another two throughout the week. The Tony Moly masks are still some of my favourites, and the Hydraluron ones are fab too!
1 WEEK BEFORE
- Foot care: I am hugely ticklish so I always do my own pedicure – I can think of nothing worse than paying for someone to touch my feet! *Shiver* I did a blog post about my DIY pedi routine so check that out if you want to give it a go yourself. I like to be thorough but I don’t paint my nails until the night before I go.
3 DAYS BEFORE
- Hair Removal: My least favourite part of being a woman – it’s just such a faff! Whatever your chosen method, doing it a few days before you leave ensures your skin has plenty of time to recover and isn’t red or sensitive. I’m a big baby when it comes to waxing and always dread my appointments but I can’t praise Strip Wax Bar highly enough. Their hot wax treatments are less painful than any others I’ve had, their boutiques are beautiful and the girls are always super friendly.
- Brows: It’s probably not a surprise to know I’m a tad picky when it comes to my brows. I’ve been a loyal customer of Blink Brow Bar for as long as I can remember and I will always prioritise having my thread and tint over any other beauty treatment. If you’re particularly sensitive give yourself a few extra days before you leave, and don’t forget to have a patch test!
- Lashes: Eyelash extensions are more hassle than they’re worth so I opt to have my lashes tinted instead. I find this works so well for defining and opening your eyes without a drop of makeup. I wouldn’t say it’s a total necessity but it’s definitely a ‘nice to have’. I go to Blink Brow Bar for this too and have never been disappointed.
The night before
- Nails: The night before I go on holiday is my time to relax and get excited for the adventures to come. I tend to pour a glass of wine, get out a nail file and take care of my nails. I always go with bright colours for my toes and if I’m off on a hot holiday I normally go with reds for my fingers. I’ve got so many posts about my favourite nail polishes so take a look here if you want some inspiration.
… and that’s it! How do you get ready for a holiday? Do you do things in stages too? Wherever and whenever you’re off, I hope you have an amazing time!
Sincerely, Sarah xx